"The Lord disciplines those whom He loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his child. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? In you are not disciplined - and everyone undergoes discipline - then you are not legitimate children at all. Moreover, we have all had parents who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! Our parents disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
- Hebrews 12:6-11
Such sweet and real words to me today. Last night was a crazy "Tuesday Hang Out" group logistically and with the kids. For some reason, they were more rowdy than normal - getting into fights, disrespecting each other, neglecting to listen...I was more frustrated last night with them than I have ever been.
We took the kids rock climbing at Samford's Alpine Tower. Everyone got to climb and they all had a blast. I had to take 2/3 of the group to Cici's for the soccer team end of season party directly after, and the other 1/3 had to go back to NorthStar to meet their parents. Amidst the chaos, I finally was able to "round up the troops" to have a heart-to-heart before we left. I had my serious face on and was "letting them have it," for lack of a better way to put it. I was beyond frustrated, and they could see it in my eyes. Despite this frustration, the looks on their faces made me realize that they were concerned because I was concerned.
While I'd like to say that everything was great immediately after, I can't. The kids in my van were still beyond disrespectful to one another. But in reflecting on all of this, I notice that my frustration and pure anger was a different kind than I have felt before. I love these kids (despite their neglect to listen and respond) - more than any group of kids I have ever built relationships with. When they are out of line, they must be disciplined and dealt with in order to grow. But the kind of disciplining that will last is that which is done out of love for them, just as the Lord disciplines us out of love for us.
I want to keep in mind that while they may not like me while I discipline, the greatest act of love I can show them at that time is to continue to be firm in my discipline, in hopes of planting seeds that will lead to "righteousness and peace" in them as they go on in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment