So much has happened in these past few weeks, I honestly don't know where to begin.
In all of it, my mind has gone straight to 1 Corin. 2:4-5...
"...my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."
Here goes...
Ive taken on a new role as Mid-Alabama Recreational Soccer (MARS) League Administrator. Sitting in a room full of grown middle-aged men, I in my youth and lack of experience was nominated MARS League Administrator to oversee and correlate the schedule for the 14 clubs with recreational teams. This is huge for NorthStar in that I will have the opportunity to directly communicate with DOC's from 14 clubs in the greater Birmingham area, as well as with the head coaches of all the teams. Also, NorthStar will have a significant presence in the functioning of this league...not to mention the additional salary stipend that I/NorthStar will receive for the labor...Yes. Much needed.
Hill School has been named the target school for this spring's soccer recruiting efforts. The school is home to kids in Smithfield community, many of which live in the Smithfield public housing on the north side of Legion Field. Last week Paul and I stopped by to present to the principal the idea of a free soccer clinic held at the school one day a week. I had tried to initiate the clinic at the Smithfield Community Center but was turned down, resorting in the efforts toward Hill. The principal showed me favor and even threw out the idea of my visiting the PE classes (when I started talking about lunch like what I do at Princeton).
So, my first day of PE was last Thursday. I met Coach Bright and we clicked instantly. I found out she is a believer and we left the day encouraged by each other's acquaintance. Tuesday brought Day 2 of Hill School PE, and I walked in the gym to find a woman NOT dressed for PE, on her cell phone, asking me if I would take over class for the day since she had to leave at noon. Ecstatic at the opportunity (though I was TOTALLY being taken advantage of), I accepted and four hours later added "Hill School PE Substitute Teacher" to my many job titles that I have acquired in the last 7 months ;) How awesome is the provision of God in that He allowed me to be in an "authoritative" role to formally introduce myself, NorthStar Soccer, the upcoming Monday clinic and personally hand out the permission slips to every kid in the school, all in the matter of ONE day!?!?! And as for the class...I have no idea where I came up with PE activities for pre-K thru 5th graders...h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!!! Clinic starts Monday...PRAY!!!!
100% of the coaches I have lined up for the spring season all, literally, came to me. I definitely have made my effort in recruiting, but thank you Lord for the reminder that you do things on your way and your timing. Cosby is a current UAB education student who has college soccer experience, is tutoring at the YWCA one day a week and plays soccer with the kids when the homework is completed. He heard of me through his church and found and sent me a facebook message initiating contact and interest in coaching. After meeting with him and confirming that his heart and focus is in line with the mission behind NorthStar Soccer Club, he told his class about his new commitment and miraculously collected over $200 from his classmates wanting to support the effort. Cool.
And Dawjer is an MK who grew up as a minority overseas...he's craving time in a context outside of the Samford bubble and white suburban coaching, realizing that the generally thought of "uncomfortable inner-city environment" is truly where he desires to be. He proclaimed to me, without any probing on my part, that he wants to invest time and build relationships in a ministry. Um, yes please.
And Lauren has one of the biggest hearts/passions for NorthStar kids that Ive ever seen. As a family studies major needing an internship and Samford Soccer player already investing into the program, its fitting for her to coach this season. Coincidence?? Nope.
Finally, yesterday I received a call from Troy who has wanted to spend time in an inner-city context for years now (has done soccer ministries overseas) and is looking to give his 9 year old son exposure to a context outside of Homewood. He is offering to coach a NorthStar team with his son, 2-3 other Briarwood boys, and 2-3 NorthStar boys. I have been praying for this!?! Didn't even go searching. Came to me. As seems to be the trend, obviously.
And lastly, the update on the Alabama Women's Soccer Foundation story...
I went to their board meeting on Sunday night and walked away with a significant contribution to the spring program with future contributions to be evaluated based on the allocation/use of the given amount this spring. While I am SO excited about this contribution, the thing that made me even more excited and encouraged was their heart and Spirit-led support behind me and NorthStar Soccer. I got to share my story and the program (which has seemed to be the trend in multiple situations this week...) and they were so moved by what God is doing and how NorthStar Soccer is the exact type of ministry that they have been looking to support. Im blown away by their hearts and action behind the support of soccer for the under-privileged in Birmingham. And to think that their foundation started after having to pay off fields down 280, leading to their initiating a thrift store, which has generated enough income to not only pay off these fields but now support multiple soccer-related ministry efforts in Birmingham!?! PURPOSE in all things is His way of working. Sign me up.
There have been other "divine appointments" in these past couple of weeks, but Ill stop with the above. God is at work. And Im loving getting to witness His provision and web of connections. And to think its only a glimpse...
No comments:
Post a Comment