Blog Background

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In One Month

Its been a month since I last blogged and as much as I say that I plan to change that pattern (or lack thereof), I must be real and say that you can believe regular updates when you see them.
The urgent often phases out the important, and then once I actually get to the important, the less urgent but longstanding investment "to-do's" are always pushed to the side...if I even get to considering these tasks, the urgent usually refreshes itself to consume me even more.

And I find this overflowing into my spiritual life, too, which is NOT ok. Jesus teach me to make you, your commands, Words, voice, guidance ALWAYS the urgent - even amidst the other seemingly urgent things.

So what has this month looked like? In a few words...

- multiple sharings of the Gospel at Hill School
- variety of connections made through random introductions (Spero, Discovery Clubs, Community Living thoughts...)
- 125 + regular kids out at Monday night skills; and continued attendance to team practices and games
- two games and 15 + Vestavia Hills (Liberty Park) parents watching their kids play soccer at Legion Field (their initial faces were priceless, though I think they adjusted once they realized soccer downtown is the same as soccer in Liberty Park)
- 300 + MARS League games scheduled (God, give me patience with coaches, DOC's and referees in this area - scheduling and maintaining games for an entire recreational league has definitely been more than I can handle. Not everything is spiritual from the outside, but everything does have purpose. Hold onto that, Val...)
- one week to catch up on my kids' spring break including a 24 hour flu bug...so much for catching up...
- Two trips to ATL...13.1 miles of running and a future UGA student (congrats MADDY!!!)
- a solid relationship built and friend made in the Hill School PE teacher
- 4,600 miles flown to California and back for a 90th BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION!
- 6 practices and games rained out in just two weeks :(

While I could probably go on and on with things that have been done, seen, learned and experienced, I want to direct just a few moments (sentences?!?) to my experience in and around Hill School.

First, Hill School was on the front page of the Birmingham News a couple weeks ago listed in a big "F" as a failing school in the Bham City Schools system. Not OK - that they're listed like that by name and also that they even meet that criteria to be listed there. But I believe it. The kids have NO discipline, NO respect for authority, NO respect for each other...Ive never seen anything like it. The PE coach (a woman I greatly respect and admire for her patience and perseverance there) stood before them in fury at their behavior when two classmates got in a fight. They just laughed in her face...WOW. Even kids who would "test the limits" in my classes growing up and groups at Camp wouldn't even do or (not) respond the way those kids did Coach. I couldnt believe what I was seeing. One of the kids (whose home situation is abusive foster parents after he was taken from his mom due to her addiction to illegal drugs...) curses to his classmates saying some of the most awful things Ive ever heard - he's SEVEN.

Ive talked to the coach about what these kids need, and the bottom line is that they need JESUS. Their parents need spiritual and life transformation that can come only from an encounter with Christ, Himself, then we'll get to the other issues. Father, rise up your Church to intercede and be your hands and feet in this community! This is not something that I, an organization, or even a few individuals can do and accomplish on our own!! No - we need the power and presence of the Spirit, first, and this power to fill the body to move and act in West Birmingham - the public housing areas around Legion Field. I often feel like I am driving through what looks like Jamaica when driving to and from Hill School - this is not a good area and these kids need life investment and direction.

ENCOURAGEMENT: Last week I got to share the Gospel with one of my 5th grade friends, and her friend who was around told me about Thursday afternoon Discovery Clubs (a group who does Bible study with the kids one day per week). I was pumped and immediately Googled the organization. They do Bible studies one day a week with kids in almost all of our target schools around Legion Field. Paul and I met with the people today...they need volunteers, we need contact with their kids...and we and DC were mutually encouraged by the connection. No more approaching schools cold turkey like we did Hill (where we've obviously received immense favor)...we now can at least make initial contact with kids through Discovery Clubs and move from there. God's soldiers are truly in every nook and cranny of life...we just have to pray to find them.

Finally, consider the concept of "Intentional Living" - is it moving into a community and doing life with them under individual roofs (example: Brook Hills' Radical Local Initiative in East Lake) or something like the Simple Way and living an Acts 2 "Communal Living" style...or both?? What I do know is that what this community needs is more people like Paul and Jocelyn Neville. Years ago they moved their family to College Hills and sought no glory or credit to themselves for the reason and purpose behind their place of living. Heart and a passion to live out the Gospel is and was their motive, and I think we all ought to consider our calling to love our neighbor and how we ought to take that literally and in a Gospel-minded context.

"Love God with all of your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind...love your neighbor as yourself." - Matt. 22:37-39
This is why I do what I do....

No comments:

Post a Comment