After my first week here (back in August), I sent an email to close family and friends with an update of my week's experiences...here is what I sent:
Friday, August 14, 2009
Well I have made it through my first week of "work" - I can hardly call it a "real world job" because I am doing something that I am so passionate about. But before I even begin to describe what this week has been, I hope and pray that each of you will realize that we are individually created with gifts and a purpose to do "specifics" in the name of the Lord in our time here. Not that I have found my exact "life calling" or that I know everything that I was created to do, but after one week with NorthStar Youth Ministries, I feel pretty confident that this is exactly where the Lord has me for the time being. I have found what makes me "tick," what moves my heart toward compassion and what energizes me to do and act in a way that only the Spirit can lead.
The NorthStar Soccer Program has huge potential for VERY positive impact in West Birmingham. To give you an idea of the demographics, 55 percent of the general area around NorthStar earns an annual income of less than $20,000. The NorthStar fall soccer season costs $20 for U6, $30 for U8, $40 for U9/10, and $50 for U12. Upon the "closing" of registration today (very loosely stated...), we had about 1/4 of the payments made for the kids participating. I have "inherited," so-to-speak, a program with a mission and vision to provide opportunity to kids to just get out there and be a part of something that will impact their lives in a positive way. However, the follow-up on payments by participants can often be a challenge, and it is my job to ensure that funds are raised to bring in not only program expenses, but also scholarships for players who cannot pay.
Along with this realization throughout the week, I was able to organize all of our registrations, interact with the kids and their families Monday night (at the "Welcome Coach Val/Registration Party), write a rough-draft mission statement and vision statement for the soccer program, and begin to make contacts with area soccer programs for advice/help in ensuring my kids will get a quality soccer experience at NorthStar. There is much work to be done - a LOT of organizing is needed - and I have been jotting down idea after idea to take this program in the right direction...both structurally and spiritually.
Another thing that has hit me hard is the fact that I have (materially) so much…why!?!? Why do some have so much when others have so little. Whether it be financially and materially, or even just simply relationally and opportunely, it just doesn’t seem fair. I was extremely convicted this week, especially today as Friday, with the fact that I am walking around this ministry with my iphone, mac and Nikon camera when people are struggling just to sign their kids up for the cheapest soccer league in the city. This world is so broken and off-kilter. Oh Lord, never let me live in a place and state of mind where I am blind to this!
Also, I am realizing how much I really need to be around people. I nearly went crazy today after spending much of the day by myself in the office working on miscellaneous things. Yes, I was productive, but when the time rolled around for me to meet with Paul, I was DONE. I need to be able to meet with him at the end of the day for a "day-concluding update meeting," but I felt drained from being "alone at the office"...I think that's the extrovert in me. All I needed this afternoon was a good run and evening hang out time.
I realize too how much this big change in life is taking out of me emotionally, mentally and physically, though I do feel the Lord has led me through sweet time spiritually. I forgot my pin number earlier this week, I really don’t have as much of a crazy appetite as I normally do, and Im DYING to run everything out of my system when I get home…we’ll see how I feel in couple of weeks when Im more settled…
In my time with the Lord this week, He revealed to me verses in Colossians that I must set my mind and heart on throughout my time with this ministry, and I ask you to participate in prayer with me/for me with this scripture in mind:
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
- Colossians 4:2-6
No comments:
Post a Comment